Join Our Team
Beacon Economics is currently hiring for the following position(s):
Manager, Sustainable Growth and Development
Beacon is currently seeking a Sustainable Growth and Development Manager to manage and develop the firm’s products and services as well as its client base within our Sustainable Growth and Development practice area. Topically, that may include engagements related to industry sector strategies, economic development, workforce development, entrepreneurship, and broader strategic planning.
The successful candidate will contribute to the development, management, and execution of engagements that fall within the Sustainable Growth and Development practice area or engagements within other practice areas that have substantive scope elements relevant to sustainable growth and development.
70% of the Sustainable Growth and Development Manager’s time will be spent managing and leading the project portfolio related to the Sustainable Growth and Development practice area or other practice area as designated, 15% will be spent on outbound client and relationship development, and 15% will be spent on broader firm and relevant practice area strategy.
Managing and Leading Project Portfolio (70%)
The Sustainable Growth and Development Manager will own or co-own a portfolio of projects related primarily to the Sustainable Growth and Development practice area and where needed or relevant other practice areas. The Manager will lead the identification of a client’s need and translation of it into a scope of services; operationalize and resource those engagements internally, collaborating with Research Associates, Director of Research, and Senior Management; manage the navigation of the engagement’s vision in cooperation with the Research Team and the Client; and oversee completion of the final deliverable set and delivery of it to the Client. In this capacity, tasks and responsibilities of the Sustainable Growth and Development Manager may include:
- Manage client communication and the development of a scope of work in the form of a formal proposal; communicate engagement needs to Senior Management;
- Manage the engagement’s resources, project deliverable schedule, fee invoicing schedule, budget, client updates, and internal updates and reporting;
- Lead the navigation of the engagement’s vision in conjunction with both the research process as it evolves and the Client’s feedback;
- Author, co-author, and edit final deliverables; provide peer review of final deliverables not directly managed; perform, direct, and contribute to literature review as needed;
- Manage the completion and delivery of the final deliverable set including playing a key role in framing and reviewing draft and final deliverables;
- Manage relevant research work including the provision of feedback and guidance; perform a direct reporting role for Senior Research and Research Associates as directed.
The Sustainable Growth and Development Manager may manage and contribute to engagements related primarily to other practice areas where there is managerial need and/or substantive components of the scope related to the Sustainable Growth and Development practice area.
Outbound Client and Relationship Development re. Sustainable Growth and Development (15%)
The Sustainable Growth and Development Manager will identify new and outbound opportunities in the relevant topical space, focusing on the development of longer-term client and partner relationships. This activity is expected to be cyclical, ramping up and down from the 15% benchmark as opportunities are identified and converted into project engagements. The Sustainable Growth and Development Manager will oscillate between outbound client development and project portfolio management; however, independent of the cycle of activities, the Sustainable Growth and Development Manager is expected to spend a minimum threshold of time on the maintenance of client relationships, the development of longer-term partners, and the development of the firm’s presence in the relevant forums and gatherings related to the SGD Practice Area. In this capacity, tasks and responsibilities of the Sustainable Growth and Development Manager may include:
- Maintain a knowledge of the local SGD space, its forums, actors, publications, and relevant gatherings
- Identify and pursue relationships with new clients relevant to the practice area; this may include calls, in-person meetings, and event attendance
- Direct and contribute to the writing of scopes and proposals for clients or partners identified; identify, review, and prioritize RFPs relevant to the practice area and direct, contribute to, and review the firm’s response to RFPs selected for response
Strategy Development, Practice Area and Firm-wide (15%)
The Sustainable Growth and Development Manager will help lead the continued development of the Practice Area’s products, services, and client base, researching, analyzing, building, and iterating research frameworks for its core products. This may include creating the research process infrastructure needed for scalability, directing the creation of marketing collateral for scalability, value propositioning replicable engagements, developing business/pricing strategy, and identifying opportunities for thought leadership in the space. The Sustainable Growth and Development Manager will also play a role more broadly in firm-wide strategy, monitoring the relevant practice area’s interaction with other practice areas as well as firm-wide operational needs related to scale. In this capacity, tasks and responsibilities of the Sustainable Growth and Development Manager may include:
- Presenting to and collaborating with the Director of Research and Senior Management regarding practice area strategy
- Creating a research framework for core products; designing final deliverable collateral for practice area products in collaboration with the Research Team; and directing the creation of proposal collateral for practice area products in collaboration with other functional teams.
The Manager of the Sustainable Development and Growth Practice reports directly to the Director of Research.
Qualifications & Desired Skills
- 3+ years experience working in or at the intersection of policy and research (private sector, government, academia, nonprofit)
- Excellent writing skills both with regard to proposal writing and formal report writing and editing; writing sample required
- Excellent verbal communication skills including presentation skills
- Skilled listener with the creative competencies to produce feasible research projects from general ideas
- Comfortable synthesizing and extracting insight from a mix of qualitative and quantitative data to formulate policy implications and policy recommendations
- Entrepreneurial worker with experience in ideation
- Familiarity with data analysis using statistical software (STATA, eViews, etc) and/or willingness to cultivate that expertise
- Demonstrable expertise with PowerPoint and presentation creation; proficient in Microsoft Office
- Ability to multi-task, manage a team efficiently, report up, and meet or adjust deadlines accordingly
- M.A./M.S. in economics, public policy, political science, urban planning desired; B.A./B.S. with substantial work experience encouraged to apply.
Pay is commensurate with experience.
Los Angeles, California (near LAX).
Data Visualization and Design Intern
- Assist in development and publication of research and outreach products, such as firm collateral, data visualizations, presentations, and pitch materials.
- Work with research team to design reports and prepare files for web publishing and digital printing.
- Assist in improvement of core graphic templates.
- Work with the research team and senior management to update and refresh existing design creative collateral.
Desired Skills & Experience
- The minimum education requirements include 2 years’ design experience in school.
- Experience using quantitative data to create compelling stories or visualization.
- A passion for design, be a creative thinker and an innate instinct for what looks good.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite.
- Knowledge and passion for gestalt design principles of typography, layout and color.
- Detailed, meticulous, and organized.
- Must be comfortable designing in various styles to fit various types of projects
Full-time Interns will be paid a monthly stipend based on experience and qualifications.
Los Angeles, California (near LAX).